Tips for preparing a business plan
- Be clear and focused about what you want to achieve – this will help align your team so you’re all working toward the same thing.
- Choose the type of business plan that works for you – you may like to have a document, or a business canvas might work better.
- Keep it short, simple and easy to understand.
- Keep your goals realistic and relevant to what is going on in the economy and in your industry.
- Use Stats NZ’s Data for Business website to find useful business tools and statistics.
- Contact Stats NZ to get useful business data.
- Get out and speak with your customers to gain an understanding of how your product works for them and whether it’s something they would pay for.
- Do a SWOT analysis to determine your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Ask your advisor or mentor to review your plan and give you feedback and suggested improvements.
Data for Business — Stats NZ
Startup Business Plan
Use this free template to help you write a great plan for launching your new business.
A business plan helps you set goals for your business, and plan how you’re going to reach them. When you’re starting out it’s a good idea to do a full and thorough business plan
Quickfire Business plan
Quick-focus planning to make sure you work on the right things for your growing business – every day.
It’s important to take time to reflect on your business strategies and plan. It doesn’t have to be a difficult or time-consuming task.