Yesterday Hon. Michael Wood, Minister for Workplace Relations and Safety, announced that once New Zealand enters the new Protection Framework (Traffic Light System) several new workforces will be required to enforce mandatory vaccinations for staff, as well as checking customer’s vaccine certificates.
In addition to Education, Health & Disability, Corrections, MIQ and Airside staff, the following industries will have vaccine mandates enforced:
- Other close-contact businesses
Currently, government guidelines are hazy around which businesses may be able to choose to enforce checking vaccine certificates. In collaboration with the Hawke’s Bay Chamber of Commerce Myriam Mitchell, Partner at Copeland Ashcroft, hosted a webinar discussing vaccinations in the workplace.
This informative discussion highlighted several key points:
- Organisations must balance Privacy Act 2020 with the Health & Safety of staff and customers.
- Treat any formalisation of vaccine requirements as being relative to a particular role to be performed, rather than directing individuals to be vaccinated.
- Conduct a health and safety risk assessment for each role within your workplace to ensure all team members within your organisation are aware of their rights and responsibilities.
- Seek professional advice if you are unsure of how to approach vaccination requirements.